I am so honored that you would come on over to little old me to get some photography tips, but I am sure glad you are here! I am SO happy to share a little bit of my process in taking photos for my blog and Instagram…
1. What do you use to take your photos?
Probably 90% of my photos are taken with a Fujifilm X100F, SUCH a amazing little camera, and great for travel or outings! You get beautiful DSLR quality photos without dragging around a 10 pound camera! 2% of my photos are taken with my iPhone, and about 8% of my photos are taken with a Canon 5D Mark III. Don’t let what kind of camera you have discourage you in any way! Phones have such amazing cameras and you can create such a beautiful feed just with the camera you have in your pocket!
2. What apps do you use and your editing process.
I use Lightroom for all of my photos. BUT, if you don’t have access to Lightroom I would tell you to go check out the VSCO app if you haven’t already!
3. What photos of yours tend to do well? What do your followers really respond to?
Instagram is such a strange place and it is so hard to tell which photos will do well and which ones will be a total flop! You have to know your audience! What is your blog geared toward? What is your Instagram page geared to? Motherhood, fashion, your home? That is why your followers are here and that is what they want to see! Also, Instagram algorithm is wack so if you post the cutest photo of all time and it gets 10 likes, brush it off. It’s not you, it’s the algorithm.
It’s so hard to explain such a HUGE topic into 3 tiny little questions! My quick tips would be…
- Use the best camera you have with you at the time! iPhone? NO problem! Big ol’ DSLR? Perfect! Capture the moment with the best you’ve got!
- Find a editing style that is unique to you and stick with it. This will take practice and might change a few times before you find what you love! Just please don’t use Instagram filters! PLEASE! There are so many great photo specific editing apps out there. Find what you like best! (VSCO, Snapseed, Filmborn, just to name a few!
- Last, stay true to you! People want to see who you really are through your Instagram page! They are following YOU after all! Be real, be silly, be honest, BE YOU!
(Shout out to the real MVP, the man that taught we all I know about photography, the greatest Instagram hubby of all the Instagram hubbys, @_ericm_ You DA BOMB!)
Also check out what a few other amazing ladies have to say about these same photography questions!